The primary function of the Systems Engineer is to provide technical oversight, direction and systems engineering work for hardware and software under the program.
- System engineering tasks which include the planning, monitoring and execution of demonstration/test events.
- Identify and document systems architecture in support of product baselines and functionality.
- Evaluation and analysis of demonstration/test results, documenting plans/reports, coordinating with stakeholders, reviewing CDRLs, and presentation of the program to senior management.
- Use of DOORS, Windchill PLM and ECAD software for requirements management, systems engineering, design, analysis, and simulation, etc. for robust technical outputs within the program scope, budget and schedule parameters.
- Coordinate technology insertion efforts, analyze industry trends and emerging technology application to the program baseline.
- Identify areas of risk and work quickly to resolve and mitigate risk.
- Lead projects and support defining customer specifications, and any regulatory requirements that are applicable to the product.
- Support the authoring and review of government performance work statements and contractor proposals for technical accuracy and to ensure requirements are met.
- Review other engineering designs and specifications as required for configuration management release.
- Provide mentorship for less experience engineers.
- Attend customer meetings, including project status and review meetings, checkout meetings, and acceptance meetings. This includes leading all internal and customer design review meetings for the project.
- Create complete, organized, detailed requirements documentation and coordinate for release for configuration management.
- Work with component suppliers to specify and acquire specifications for commercial and custom components that are needed for the product design.
- Support and facilitate the technical review of items for formal release and under the purview of the Configuration Control Board.
- Support and keep the Program abreast of all out-of-scope work through thorough execution of configuration control processes.
- Act as the systems engineering liaison for systems engineering.
- Support the fabrication, assembly and debug processes for the project as required. Lead all systems engineering activities to ensure the product and debug phases of the project are completed on schedule.
- Know, understand and execute all government standard operating procedures related to the systems engineering process.
Work Environment This job operates in a professional office and contractor operated environments including manufacturing facilities. Employees will also work in test and integration labs, government depots, and test, evaluation and proving grounds as required.
Physical Demands The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to be independently mobile.
- The employee is also required to interact with a computer, and communicate with peers, customers, and co-workers.
- This position requires the occasional use of basic hand tools.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work This is a full-time position, Monday through Friday. Flexible hours are available within core hours. Occasional evening and weekend work may be required as job duties demand.
Travel Less than 30% travel is expected for this position.
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical or Systems Engineering from an accredited institution
Preferred Education and Experience
- Knowledge of system engineering processes, procedures, and best practices
- Strong systems engineering aptitude and ability to conceptualize and create functional architecture, interface control diagrams and other related documentation
- Proficiency in using engineering applications (DOORS, ECAD, etc.)
- Experience with Product Life Cycle Management tools such as Windchill, Teamcenter, Agile, etc.
- Proficient with communications systems analysis and networks
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, with specific ability to write at a professional and technical level
- Organized and detail-oriented
- Desire to work in a fast-paced, growing environment
- Strong customer and professional relationship skills
- Secret Clearance or higher desired
- Ability to obtain a U.S. Government security clearance required.